Happy Hump Day everyone! Life has been totally crazy these last few weeks and to top it all off, we are moving into a new apartment at the end of the month! Honestly, I’m super stoked for a fresh start and to decorate our adorable new place, but we’ve been scrambling to get everything in order and we’re SO not even close to ready *sigh*. Amongst all the chaos, I’ve been all about quick weeknight meals that are easy to throw together and relatively budget friendly as we’re trying to save as much money as possible this month (the initial move-in is going to cost us a small fortune). Also, with the wedding just 7 months away and bikini season quickly approaching, Dustin and I have been trying to stick to a healthy diet—specifically, low-carb. Having said all that, our crazy schedule + our budget + our diet has made menu plannng a little tricky for me.
Well guys, after what seemed like hours of vigorously scrolling through Pinterest for inspiration (I’m totally exaggerating), my prayers were answered: Ground turkey taco stuffed bell peppers for the absolute win! These peppers were flavorful, filling, low carb, and packed with veggies! With how easy they were to throw together and how absolutely delicious and satisfying they were, it’s safe to say that this recipe has found a forever home in our menu rotation and may even be apart of our Taco Tuesday routine from here on out (or at least as long as were on this dang diet)!
What You Need
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 bell peppers (whatever colors you like)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can whole black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup pico de gallo salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tsp fresh or pickled jalapeños, diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Shredded cheese
Note: I don’t like to add specific measurements for spices because I feel like it’s all up to personal taste. Add however much you think you need when seasoning your meat, let it cook a bit, taste it, add more if it needs more!
Let’s Get Cooking
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut the tops of your bell peppers off and remove seeds and spongy stuff from the middles.
- Place bell peppers in a baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon (ish) of olive oil, cover with foil, and roast in oven for 10-15 mins.
- While your bell peppers are roasting, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add your onions and garlic and let sizzle until fragrant (do not burn the garlic).
- Add your ground turkey to the pan with your onions and garlic, stirring to combine. Add all of your seasoning and let cook until ground turkey is no longer pink and appears to be fully cooked—maybe 5-7 minutes (don’t forget to taste it to make sure you’ve added enough seasoning!).
- Add black beans, salsa, frozen corn, chopped spinach, jalapenos, and lime juice to your meat mixture. Stir all of your ingredients until well combined. Cook until spinach is wilted and everything is heated through (maybe 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Remove your bell peppers from the oven (they should be slightly soft).
- Divide your filling evenly amongst your bell peppers, spooning it into each until well stuffed. Re-cover with tin foil and return to oven for another 7 minutes.
- Once peppers and filling seem to be heated through and have reached the desired level of tenderness, remove them from the oven again and top with cheese. Return them to the oven (uncovered) for an additional 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
Tried this dish? Let me know what you think in the comments!